Wednesday, June 19, 2013

15th Anniversary cake

I made this cake about 3yrs ago.  My hubby and I decided to renew our vows in a little gazebo park near our house.  We re-affirmed our vows and had our kids participate in the ceremony.  After the ceremony we shared cake and champagne with 15-20 of our closest friends.

It was a beautiful day, a beautiful ceremony and a beautiful cake!!

A couple things about this cake - at the time I had NO experience in making complex flowers - sugar, fondant or gumpaste.  So I went on-line and ordered these from a sugar-craft house.   They were not cheap - but totally worth the price - they took my cake from simply pretty to elegant.

One thing I LOVED about this cake was that even though it looks like fondant - its actually buttercream (cause I love the taste and it was my day dag-gonnit!)  I used a very old fashioned technique that my mom showed me years and years ago of pressing a damp kitchen towel over the buttercream to 'smooth' it out.  Pretty nifty huh?

I also used candy pearls, ribbon and green Hydrangeas from my garden.  The cake was lemon and vanilla layers with a lemon curd and buttercream filling.  And for the topper? Two sweet little ceramic birds I bought at a garden shop. I love, love how this came out!!

I'm going to keep working on my flower skills so that the next time I make one of these I use my own sugar craft :)









And here are a couple of photos from the day - so you can see that the flower theme and yellow, white and green were carried throughout.  I did my own decorating and flowers - with some help from a couple of my talented girlfriends.





If you live in the Vancouver / Portland area and are looking for a cake for your special day - message me!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! another technique I use on smoothing buttercream to 'fondant' look, use a Viva paper towel after allowing buttercream to chill/sit for about 20 minutes. I roll over the papertowel with a foam paint roller from Lowes. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your comments and questions! But like everyone I want to keep my page protected and positive. Comments will be moderated. Thank you for your understanding!