Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Guitar and Drum cakes

I've decided to blog these two cakes together since they are so similar in theme.  (We have a very musical household so often our family cakes reflect that interest)  I suppose a 'sports mom' would have a lot of sport cakes and and a dance mom would have cakes of ballet shoes and etc (oooohh  - a ballet shoes cake - now that would be FUN to try!! :)

The first cake I'm including here is a guitar cake I made for my husband's 39th birthday.  He is a guitarist so there you go!  This was my first foray into making my OWN fondant and with trying a marbling technique.  I was pretty happy with the results.  I also combined some good old fashioned butter-cream piping too. 




The other cake I want to include in this post is one I did pretty recently for my son's 13th.  He is a drummer so I bet you can guess what his cake was! :)

For this one I again made my own fondant but this time I was much more successful with the marbling technique. Check out those drum sticks made out of fondant!! Very cool!  I also tried an edible spray paint technique to get the silver finishings. Sadly - the paint cracked as it dried - it wasn't tragic but I have changed my approach to 'metal' looking fondant now :)

The cake itself was a a chocolate and vanilla layer with Marshmallow Fluff and buttercream filling. Yum!







If you live in the Vancouver/Portland area are looking for a fun and personal cake for your special occasion - please send me a message!



1 comment:

I LOVE your comments and questions! But like everyone I want to keep my page protected and positive. Comments will be moderated. Thank you for your understanding!